I love almonds, I still miss Mr Kiplings Bakewell tarts and nothing else comes close. Rather than try to make tarts I thought this would be good. My thoughts were correct. The icing is a bit drippy in the photo because I just couldn’t wait until it was fully dry.
On the subject of Almonds, those frangipan/bakewell mince pies rocked Micky, care to share?
From BBC Good Food
For the cake
- 200g butter , well softened,
- (plus extra for greasing)
- 200g golden caster sugar
- (I ground up some raw sugar before putting everything else in blender)
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp almond extract or essence
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and make sure there’s a shelf ready in the middle. Butter and line the bases of 2 x 20cm round sandwich tins with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat together all the cake ingredients with a pinch of salt until smooth, then spoon into the tins and level the tops. Bake for 30 mins or until golden and springy. Don’t open the oven before 25 mins cooking time has passed.
- When they’re ready, cool the sponges for a few mins, then tip out of the tins and cool completely on a wire rack. Make sure the top of one of the cakes is facing up as you’ll want a smooth surface for the icing later on.
- For the filling
- ½ a 340g jar morello cherry conserve
For the top
- 5-6 tsp water or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ready-toasted flaked almonds
- When cool, put one sponge on a serving plate
- Spread with jam.
- Sandwich the second sponge on top.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a large bowl. Add the water or lemon juice, then stir until smooth and thick. Spread evenly over the top and let it dribble over the sides. Scatter with the nuts and leave to set for a few mins before cutting.
- I used almond essence in the icing.
- I have no idea why the txt is strange- sorry