Ingredients (serves 6)
Melted butter or margarine, for greasing
50g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
125mls (1/2 cup) boiling water
125g butter, at room temperature
275g (1 1/4 cups) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
Icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a deep 22cm round cake pan with the melted butter or margarine to grease and then line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift cocoa powder into a bowl. Gradually add almost all the water, stirring to form a smooth, thick paste. Stir in remaining water. Set aside.
- Use electric beaters to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a medium mixing bowl for 1-2 minutes or until pale. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until combined,
- Sift together the flours. Use a large metal spoon to fold the flours into the butter mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture, in 2 batches each, until well combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan and smooth the surface with the back of the spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Stand for 3 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve dusted with icing sugar.